History of the Park
The Parksville Community Park is one of the City's most popular attractions, referred to as the jewel of Parksville. The area served as a First Nations settlement to the Coast Salish people as evidenced by the shell middens
found on site and the oral histories of First Nations.
Established in 1963, following the acquisition of the land in 1923 and its use as a waterfront park, the park is steeped in history. Parksville's namesake, Nelson Parks, had a small shack near the land that currently makes up the park. It is said that at a social event in his home, he remarked that it looked as though everyone was present,
so the settlement should be called "Parksville".
The Women’s Institute, a group of women who collectively led the way for social and patriotic activities in the district for seventy years, sparked the park’s beginnings. At the time the park was purchased, there were two pieces of land available. A vote took place to determine which piece of land would be used for the purpose of parkland and a board was elected to carry out the project. In 1923, the Parksville Women’s Institute purchased the 39 acres of waterfront property from Joe Hirst for $3,500 and through determination, the loan was paid in three years, taking advantage of a $500 discount.
After purchase of the land, change houses were constructed and people began using the area for camping and recreation. The space officially known as the Community Park, was maintained by the Community Park Society for more than thirty years. In 1963, the Society gave the responsibility of the park to the City of Parksville.