Frequently Asked Questions for Candidates

Running for Office in Local Government

Can I run for office?
To run for local government office, at the time of nomination, you must:

  • Be a Canadian citizen; AND
  • Be, or will be, 18 years of age or older (October 15, 2004) on or before general voting day; AND
  • Have lived in BC for at least six months. March 8, 2022, is the last day to meet six-month residency requirement for candidates; AND
  • Have not been disqualified by any law or statute from being nominated, elected, or holding office.

Note:   There is no requirement for a candidate to be a resident or own property in the municipality.

You are specifically disqualified from running for office if you:

  • Are a Judge of the Provincial Court, Supreme Court or Court of Appeal; OR
  • Are an employee or salaried officer of the local government [unless you have taken a leave of absence to run for office and agree to resign if elected], including if you are running as a regional district electoral area director when employed by a municipality which is a member of that regional district; OR
  • Are under sentence for an indictable offence and are in custody or in prison; OR
  • Have been found guilty of an elections offence, such as intimidation, double voting or buying votes and are prohibited from holding office; OR

Do I have to complete a nomination form?
YES. You and your two nominators must complete a written nomination in the prescribed form providing:

  • Your full name and your usual name if you would rather have that on the ballot. For example, if you would prefer to be called Bob when your full name is Robert; AND
  • Office for which you are being nominated (Mayor or Councillor); AND
  • If applicable, a statement that you are being endorsed by an elector organization and would like that organization's name to appear on the ballot; AND
  • Your residential address and mailing address if different; AND
  • Names and residential addresses of your two nominators (if one or both of your nominators are a non-resident property elector, the address of that property); AND
  • Statement signed by your nominators that, to the best of their knowledge, you are qualified to hold local government office in British Columbia.

Who can nominate me for office?
To run as a candidate for any local government office, you must be nominated by two people who are qualified to vote - either as a resident or non-resident property elector in the City of Parksville. Any person who is entitled to make a nomination, may sign as many nomination documents as there are offices to be filled. 

A candidate should be prepared to have additional nominators if it turns out one or both of the two original people are not eligible to be a nominator.

Do I have to complete other documents as well?
YES. Your nomination form must include and be accompanied by:

  1. Statement signed by you saying that you consent to the nomination; AND
  2. Your solemn declaration that you are qualified to be nominated for office and that the information provided in the nomination documents is true (a solemn declaration is a declaration made on oath or by solemn affirmation signed by you and witnessed by the Chief Election Officer, Deputy Chief Election Officer, a lawyer, or notary. It may be made in advance or taken by the Chief Election Officer or Deputy Chief Election Officer when you deliver your nomination documents); AND
  3. If applicable, a solemn declaration from your elector organization that the organization fulfils the requirements for endorsing you as a candidate and your written consent to the endorsement by the elector organization; AND
  4. Financial disclosure statement required by section 2(1) of the Financial Disclosure Act. This statement must provide details of both your corporate and personal holdings and is designed to help you avoid situations of conflict of interest. Candidate Financial Disclosures must be filed directly with Elections BC (contact information will be provided).
  5. if you are elected, you will also be required to update your financial disclosure statement between January 1 and January 15 of each year while holding office. This is an ongoing annual commitment to disclose financial information and is different from the requirement to disclose financial campaign information.

Do I have to pay a nomination deposit fee?
No. The City of Parksville does not require a nomination deposit to be paid when filing your nomination documents.

When can I pick up nomination papers?
You can pick up a nomination package at the administration offices of the City of Parksville during regular office hours 8 am to 4 pm, Monday to Friday excluding statutory holidays, starting at 9 am, Friday, July 22, 2022, to 4 pm on Friday, September 9, 2022

When and where can I file my nomination papers?
You must file your nomination papers with the Chief Election Officer, or the Deputy Chief Election Officer, at the administration offices of the City of Parksville, 100 Jensen Avenue East, during regular office hours 8 am to 4 pm excluding statutory holidays), commencing at 9 am, Tuesday, August 30, 2022, until 4 pm, Friday, September 9, 2022. Appointments are recommended (250 954-3070;

Nomination packages will not be accepted prior to 9 am, Tuesday, August 30 or after 4 pm, Friday, September 9.

Nomination documents may be delivered by hand, mail, fax, or other delivery service. Originals of faxed nomination documents must be received by the Chief Election Officer by 4 pm, Friday, September 16, 2022, or the nomination is deemed to be withdrawn.

 A word of caution, candidates are strongly encouraged not to leave filing their nomination papers to the last minute in the event the papers cannot be accepted by the Chief Election Officer as submitted. 

Can the public look at my nomination documents?
YES. From the time of delivery to the Chief Election Officer, all nomination documents must be available for public inspection during regular office hours and will be posted on the City's website, from the date of delivery until 30 days after the declaration of the election results.                      

Can the public look at my financial disclosure statements?
YES. They will be available on the Elections BC website (

When can I start campaigning?
Whenever you like. Ensure you record all your election contributions and expenses for the disclosure statement you must file with Elections BC within 90 days after general voting day (January 13, 2023).

Before spending any money on an election campaign, you are required to appoint a Financial Agent (you may be your own Financial Agent or appoint a trusted advisor) AND you must have a separate campaign bank account through which you deposit any campaign contributions and make all campaign expenditures. Information about the duties of a Financial Agent and the use of a campaign bank account are available from Elections BC at 1 855 952-0280 or visit their website at

Is there a limit to what I can spend on my campaign?
In accordance with the Local Elections Campaign Financing Act, for the 2022 general local election, the following expense limits for candidates during the campaign period apply:


Candidate Expense Limits

Where can I get more information on campaign financial disclosure requirements?
A great resource is the "Candidate's Guide to Local Government Elections in BC". A copy of the Candidate's Guide will also be included in the nomination package for candidates.

As previously noted, Elections BC will be dealing with financial disclosure statements and will have information on what is required, any questions on campaign financing information, please call Elections BC toll free at 1 855 952-0280 or visit their website at You should also be familiar with the Local Elections Campaign Financing Act. 

Are there any other requirements for me as a candidate?
As previously noted, you must open a separate bank account for all campaign contributions and expenses. You should open that account as soon as you receive your first election contribution, or before you spend any money on your campaign.

What if I receive no contributions and spend nothing on my campaign, do I still have to open a separate account?
Any questions on campaign financing information, please call Elections BC toll free at 1 855 952-0280 or visit their website at

If I don't win the election, do I still have to file disclosure documents?

Can I, or my elector organization, have campaign signs at the voting place on voting day?
NO. There can be no campaign material (signs, buttons, brochures) within 100 metres of a voting place and that includes advance voting opportunities as well.

Election Signs and Advertising Policy

Can I, my elector organization, or third-party sponsors advertise on the day of general voting?
NO. Advertising, including websites, social media, print media, television and radio, are not permitted on voting day, Saturday, October 15, 2022.  

Can I have a website for my campaign?

What if I decide I don't want to run for office after I've filed my nomination papers?
You may withdraw as a candidate until 4 pm, Friday, September 16, 2022. If you want to withdraw after that deadline, the Chief Election Officer must notify the Minister and the Minister will decide whether the candidate may withdraw.

Running for Council
Nominated Candidates
Elector Organization
Key Dates For Candidates
Election Conduct Best Practices